Annons:
Tagother-ipad-related
Read 1465 times
Evelina
2019-05-11 14:03

How can you verify Apple ID without phone?

So my dad dropped his phone in a hotel toilet in Stockholm. It got stuck as there was a Otter Box on it. The hotel never recovered for him, they just said it was gone. With that case on it there could have been a chance of getting the phone to work again. I have an iPad mini that I no longer use. I want to set it up with his Apple ID. But I can’t verify it. What do I do?

Annons:
Niklas
2019-05-11 17:19

Is it two-factor authorization you mean or the security questions that you can be asked to verify ownership of the account?

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Evelina
2019-05-11 19:06

It asks for the phone number linked to the account in order to send the authorisation code to the phone number. But that phone is gone now so that won't work. So we can't log into his account on the iPad. 

Edit: Yes it is the two factor identification code.

Niklas
2019-05-11 22:49

Isn't there an option to authorize it another way? If not, try logging in to https://appleid.apple.com and see if you have any other choices there.

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Evelina
2019-05-12 12:16

Yeah it’s the same on that. But what I did just now was somehow choose the option saying that I want to identify with another phone number because I can’t access that one. And now I am awaiting on email on my dads email account for something from Apple to proceed further.

Niklas
2019-05-12 15:26

Okay, I hope it works out. It usually does.

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Niklas
2019-05-12 15:32

Does he use iCloud keychain or another password manager? Otherwise I would recommend doing that. Saves lots of time when you lose or change phones.

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Annons:
Evelina
2019-05-12 15:48

He writes all his passwords down on paper. Not really sure if I understand how iCloud Keychain would Help in this case. Can you explain? I was trying to login into my iPad which is a new device for his Apple ID as his only linked device was his iPhone. So we need to verify his Apple ID in order to log in on any device. He has his password for the account but he is locked out since he lost his phone and can’t verify. 🧐

Niklas
2019-05-12 16:47

Sorry, I was thinking of what you wrote in another thread, about dealing with accounts and passwords. That is easy with iCloud keychain because once you have logged in again all your passwords and credit card data are available when you need them. The verification would not be helped by the keychain.

He doesn't have a recovery key? If not, I guess the easiest might be to call Apple tomorrow.

» If you can't sign in with two-step verification using your Apple ID - Apple Support

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Evelina
2019-05-12 19:28

#8 oh ok! I understand haha yes he writes them down but some of the accounts such ad his bank accounts Where not easy to log into because he is out of country and some passwords were outdated. Hes from another generation so it is hard to get him to use things such as iCloud 🙂 trying to teach him things. I made a Spotify account for him for example! He is loving it haha. I taught him how to download music to the iPad

Evelina
2019-05-12 19:28

#8 What is a recovery key? We received an email from Apple stating they will get back within a week because it is protocol to wait a week. I think giving them a call might be worth it

Niklas
2019-05-12 22:54

A recovery key is a ”passphrase” that you can use to validate your ownership of an account, but I don't think you have to create one so your dad might not have one. I think that he can handle iCloud keychain if he can use Spotify. 🙂 Just explain to him what it is (a digital safe where you can save usernames and passwords for apps and websites) and that it is saved encrypted in iCloud and that it can be reached from his iPhone, Mac and iPad.

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Evelina
2019-05-12 23:02

#11 Ok thank you! I will explain just that to him then and Help him with it once we get things working.

[Joab]
2019-05-13 09:20

This is not of any Help for this particular case, but I really recommend to add at least one additional "trusted phone number" when using two-factor authentication. So that you are not dependent on one single device. The second "trusted phone number" does not even need to be an Apple device, it can be a cellular phone of any brand.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204915#trusted

Annons:
Evelina
2019-05-13 10:30

I did this for my account after this happened and once we get into his account I’ll add my number too.

Niklas
2019-05-13 11:50

#13: Good advice!

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Leia
2019-05-13 17:03

How annoying! I hope you figure it out! At least this mistake has taught us all a lesson, I'll set up a second number tonight!

All the best, Leia

Host of  Gluten-Free Living | News  | English Language Heart

Evelina
2019-05-13 17:05

#16 Thanks! Yes do that! 🙂

Scroll to top
Annons: