Annons:
Tagipad-apps
Read 1832 times
Niklas
2019-03-25 11:35

You can design almost anything 3D with iPad

Image 1. Click to open in original size.

I recently wrote in another Savvity community about my need (want) for an Apple Watch stand. I ended up using a design I found at Thingiverse. Since that wasn’t exactly what I wanted I also drew my own design of an Apple Watch stand. I wanted one a little bit sturdier, but not too chunky.

My favorite 3D design app is ‎Shapr 3D. It takes an iPad with Apple Pencil to use it. Everything starts with 2-dimensional shapes that you “pull and push” into three dimensions. The basics are very simple, but you can make any complex object you can imagine. In little over an hour, I had a watch stand design I liked. I haven't paid for the ability to export 3D designs in high resolution, so what I design in Shapr 3D isn't good enough to send to a 3D printer. It is good enough to demonstrate an idea though. You can turn creations 360 degrees in all directions and zoom in and out to watch them from any angle.

If you pay the monthly, or yearly, fee for the pro version of Shapr 3D, you can send your designs to for instance a 3D printer. For someone like me, who does CAD mostly for fun, the in-app subscription isn't worth the cost (currently around 38 USD per month), but if I did this professionally, it would be negligible.

As a hobbyist, I would find it interesting to be able to pay a dollar or two for “tokens” (like in many games) that let me export designs in high resolution. It wouldn’t surprise me if the developers could make a decent revenue stream out of that in addition to the pro subscription. It also could be a path into the pro version as you get more skilled with everything you do and at some point, the subscription will be more beneficial.

» ‎Shapr 3D CAD modeling on the App Store

What do you think of my Apple Watch stand design? 😀

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Annons:
Emo
2019-03-25 12:44

Nice and fun.

My website: American version
Min hemsida: Svensk version

[Joab]
2019-03-25 13:02

It is not obvious to me how you attach the watch to the stand?

Niklas
2019-03-25 13:56
Image 1. Click to open in original size.

Sorry about that! Perhaps if you look at this photo of another Apple Watch stand it will be a little clearer. You are supposed to thread the charging cord through the stand and squeeze the magnetic inductive charging pad into the round hole. Then you can “hang” the watch on the magnet. Did that make any sense?

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

[Joab]
2019-03-25 15:49

Yes indeed! Your design looks great!

Niklas
2019-03-25 16:19

Thanks! 🙂

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Leia
2019-03-25 22:36

Well done, that looks very professional! Would you say you have to be a skilled person to do this?

I hope to see this type of technology to become more accessible, I wonder what wonderful inventions the masses could conjure up!

All the best, Leia

Host of  Gluten-Free Living | News  | English Language Heart

Annons:
Niklas
2019-03-26 13:05

I don't think you have to be very skilled to do it. What you need is the ability to visualize in your head what it is you want to create. I find that very easy so once I understood the basic principles it was quite easy. Unless you are making things just for fun, without any practical use, it is an advantage to be thorough and take measurements with care. Especially if the thing you're doing is supposed to fit with something else. If you are used to working with iPad and have the interest, I think you can learn to create and print 3D without much difficulty.

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Niklas
2019-03-26 13:12

Here is an example of someone designing a coffee pot. The video has been sped up, but it gives you an impression of how you do and how easy it is.

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Scroll to top
Annons: